The eastern section of what is now Washington was settled by Joseph Hurlbut in 1734 and was known as the Parish of Judea and belonged to Woodbury. The western section was known as the Parish of New Preston and belonged to New Milford. The present town was incorporated in 1779, being named in honor of General George Washington, who traveled through the area several times during wartime.
For many years, Washington was principally a farming community. Among early local industries were ironworks and quarries as well as small mills and factories run by waterpower along the Shepaug and Aspetuck Rivers.
Colonial Towns of Connecticut Links