1702: Deed of "A Certain Tract of Land called Weeantenock" from 14 Indians to the "Proprietors of New Milford" (109 people). The purchase price? "Sixty pounds Current money of this Colony of Connecticut and Twenty pounds in Goods." This deed is recorded in the Town Records at Volume 9, page 269 and in Hartford. New Milford was called a Plantation until 1712.
1703: The legislative title to the land called a "Patent" was granted to New Milford by an act of the General Court (the Governor and his assistants) on October 22.
1705: Indians leave their Fort Hill land, where they had a large settlement and a Fort.
1706: Zachariah Ferriss arrives in New Milford and plows a plot of land near today's Town Hall. It is believed to be the first such work done here by a Caucasian.
1707: The earliest settlers: John Noble and John Noble, Jr. from Westfield, Massachusetts; John Bostwick from Stratford, Connecticut. John Noble, Sr. builds a house.
1712: Upon the petition of its inhabitants, the General Assembly grants New Milford the rights and privileges of a Town.
1714: Vote to fence the Common Field.
1720: Town votes to build a boat to be used to cross the river; to be paid "by the polls."
1721: Town Meeting votes that a school be maintained for four months in the winter, the Town to bear one-half the expense.
1722: Town buys "North Purchase," taken from Waramaug's Reserve. Committee appointed to raise money to hire a school master three months in winter and a school mistress three months in summer.
1723-24: In consideration of gifts of 24 acres of land from individuals, James Hine of Milford comes to New Milford as its first blacksmith.
1733: Ironworks erected at Halfway Falls (now Brookfield).
1743: Roger Sherman comes to New Milford from Newton, Massachusetts. Partridge Thatcher arrives from Lebanon, Connecticut. He is New Milford's first admitted attorney.
1756: Census: "1,121 whites, 16 Negroes"
1758-62: 139 New Milford men go to the Colonial Wars.
Colonial Towns of Connecticut Links