NEW HARTFORD

New Hartford was incorporated in 1738. It was a part of the "Western grant" conveyed in 1686 to the proprietors of Hartford and Windsor and in 1732 was set off to Hartford. In May, 1733, a committee of Hartford proprietors requested the General Court to encourage the settlement of the town. An act was passed naming it "New Hartford." It was the only one of seven towns in the division which was colonized by Hartford proprietors or their sons. All were from well-to-do families, hence the propriety of the name "New Hartford."

Colonial Towns of Connecticut Links

Bibliography