ANSONIA

Ansonia is transformed beyond recognition from the early settlement in this place by Edward Wooster, in 1654, when it became a part of Derby. Anson G. Phelps, looking for a factory site founded a place of sandy plains, hills and meadows and created the village in 1844.

Three more stages were struggled through -- gaining borough status by petition in 1864, its incorporation as a town in 1889, and chartered Connecticut's 168th city in 1893. Ansonia is a place that is constantly renewing itself to keep in step with the changing world.

Colonial Towns of Connecticut Links
Bibliography